+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rundll32.exe using so much ram?

Default rundll32.exe using so much ram?

ok so my laptop will lag up cause 2-4 rundll32.exe's will be running with like 628,000k.
    Idk wth is gonig on. I most of the time either sit it out or restart my laptop. Any help on how to fix this would help.

Vista 64bit
    3gb ram ddr2
    t5750 (2.0ghz core 2 duo)

Gaming Rig so far.

i5 750 (2.98ghz stock fan) might push this some more
    260gtx
    antec 750 watt psu
    4gb ddr3 1066mhz
    19 inch samsung 2ms
    2x 250gb hd raid seagate
    500gb hd seagate

Default Re: rundll32.exe using so much ram?

It sounds like you use a program that calls on the rundll32 file and there might be a memory leak. Limit your startup to only microsoft services and video driver related services. Then reboot and go about business as normal but if possible try to only use one program at a time for awhile. Once you get a slow down then you will have found your problem program. If you find nothing then it is likely that you had a startup program that was the culprit.

Well done. Here come the test results: "You are a horrible person." That's what it says. We weren't even testing for that.

how do u go about limiting my startup to only that?

Gaming Rig so far.

260gtx
    antec 750 watt psu
    4gb ddr3 1066mhz
    19 inch samsung 2ms
    2x 250gb hd raid seagate
    500gb hd seagate

the computer started up with the rundll32.exe two of them....both using around 628,000k;s

Gaming Rig so far.

260gtx
    antec 750 watt psu
    4gb ddr3 1066mhz
    19 inch samsung 2ms
    2x 250gb hd raid seagate
    500gb hd seagate

press win+r then type in msconfig

Once the managament window pops up click the services tab and then check the box to hide all microsoft services. Then go through the list and uncheck anything that isn't realted to your video drivers or an antivirus program.

Hopefully you are using something like MSE and not Norton. If you are using a symantec product immediately uninstall it and run the norton removal tool to clean up then install MSE which is light on resources but has excellent detection rates.

Next click on the startup tab and uncheck anything that isn't essential for running. However, with both of these things, do not disable something if you aren't sure what it is. It could be essential. Most things in the startup tab are harmless to disable. But the services tab can be tricky. Just be cautious and you won't have problems limiting it.

If any of this makes you uncomfortable though you can always click the general tab and click the diagnostic bootup option. If you still have the problem you might be looking at a harmless repair install to fix it. If the problem is resolved it lies with one of your auto starting programs and you will have to go through this whole thing anyways.

Well done. Here come the test results: "You are a horrible person." That's what it says. We weren't even testing for that.

Whatever is using it sounds like it is running a dll as an app. This can be common virus behavior. (not that other programs don't do it just that it is common to viruses)

I would suggest in that case to run a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE that I have been referencing) and then run a full scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.

i disabled everything and it still happens... but i figured out it only happens when i close a program.. and it's any program ie, card games, video games, word etc. Virus scan infromed me of nothing. Fully updated and everytihng.

I was just thinking to reformat my computer or something cause i can't seem to find the virus (at least i think its a virus). I haven't reformatted it yet and i've had the laptop for 2 years already.
    Last edited by Redeemerzs; 03-26-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Gaming Rig so far.

260gtx
    antec 750 watt psu
    4gb ddr3 1066mhz
    19 inch samsung 2ms
    2x 250gb hd raid seagate
    500gb hd seagate

That seems the easiest solution. Something has a memory leak. There may be a patch of some kind. Let me google around for a bit and see if I can find something.

EDIT: Googled and found no good results.
    Last edited by Animegears; 03-26-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Also if you are using XP try a repair install first.

This may help analyze your processes
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
    Also you may try running Ccleaner. It has done great things for my computers.

ok so i tried cccleaner and nothing so i reformated and it works

Gaming Rig so far.

260gtx
    antec 750 watt psu
    4gb ddr3 1066mhz
    19 inch samsung 2ms
    2x 250gb hd raid seagate
    500gb hd seagate

Sounds good lol. Glad it is fixed.

+ Reply to Thread