+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I Need a New Video Card for My New HD Monitor?

Question Do I Need a New Video Card for My New HD Monitor?

I just purchased a Viewsonic 22-in 1080 HD LED monitor. I currently have an ATI Radeon X1300Pro video card. I was wondering if I should upgrade my video card to improve performance with my new monitor? I don't use the computer to play games. I mainly use it for e-mail, surfing the Internet, and word processing. I did notice that the fonts are not as crisp and clear as they were on my 5-year-old Dell 19-in monitor.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

The x1300Pro should do just fine for everything you are trying to do. According to documentation I have read 1920x1080 is within the range of the card. It's not too old and should suffice just fine for standard 2D applications. If you decided to do more HD video watching/encoding and gaming, you'll definitely want to upgrade. If you wanted to do some light gaming and things of that nature you could upgrade to a decent card for around $100 or less that would handle the basics. An x1300 isn't going to do squat in the way of gaming unless you drop the resolution way down.

I have an x1950Pro running a 1080 HD 24" monitor I recently got. While the x1950Pro is from the same family of cards, it's much much more powerful and even it can't really handle gaming and video content at this high of a resolution. After getting this monitor I now will have to upgrade soon in order to play games.

If you haven't got it connected with a DVI cable and you have that option you may want to consider. It may give you a little better image quality as it's a full digital connection.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8Ghz
    ASUS M4A87TD Motherboard
    4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2) DDR3 1600
    ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB
    Gigabyte Poseidon Case
    XCLIO 650W PSU
    2x 500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD's
    24" AOC LED Monitor @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by bulliedn2silence View Post
    The x1300Pro should do just fine for everything you are trying to do. According to documentation I have read 1920x1080 is within the range of the card. It's not too old and should suffice just fine for standard 2D applications. If you decided to do more HD video watching/encoding and gaming, you'll definitely want to upgrade. If you wanted to do some light gaming and things of that nature you could upgrade to a decent card for around $100 or less that would handle the basics. An x1300 isn't going to do squat in the way of gaming unless you drop the resolution way down.

I have an x1950Pro running a 1080 HD 24" monitor I recently got. While the x1950Pro is from the same family of cards, it's much much more powerful and even it can't really handle gaming and video content at this high of a resolution. After getting this monitor I now will have to upgrade soon in order to play games.

If you haven't got it connected with a DVI cable and you have that option you may want to consider. It may give you a little better image quality as it's a full digital connection.
    Thanks so much for answering my question. I'm using the DVI cable that came with the monitor. How do you like your AOC monitor?

So far it's great. The viewing angle on it could be a little better, but it's a huge improvement over the Hann-G (I-Inc) one that I bought before it. The old one was 25" but the picture quality was awful.

ASUS M4A87TD Motherboard
    ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB
    Gigabyte Poseidon Case
    XCLIO 650W PSU

I have another question. I noticed today when I was viewing a virtual tour of a home online that as the image panned, it was very jerky. I never had this problem with my old Dell monitor. My new monitor has a response time of 5ms. My old monitor had a response time of 20ms. Does response time have anything to do with the jerkiness? If not, what is causing it?

Not sure. Was it a 3D virtual tour or just panoramic images?

ASUS M4A87TD Motherboard
    ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB
    Gigabyte Poseidon Case
    XCLIO 650W PSU

It was a panoramic image. Out of curiosity, I hooked up my old monitor. The visual tour was jerky on it also.

+ Reply to Thread